This cake is rather good considering it has no eggs or dairy. It’s quick and easy to make and you can make it in the pan used to cook – although I use a mixing bowl.
The picture is from Bella’s 4th birthday party. I used commercially available icing paste – that you simply roll out and apply (so easy!). And it covers a multitude of sins.
- 1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Bi-Carb Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Cold Water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Vinegar
Preheat oven to 175 C.
Sift dry ingredients (except sugar) together. Add Sugar and mix.
Make 3 wells in dry mixture. Fill 1 with water, 1 with oil and 1 with vinegar.
Stir together with fork.
Place in 9 x 13″ pan and into the oven.
Takes 25-30 minutes – test with a toothpick – should come out clean.
- To make Bella’s birthday cake, I cut the cake in half and stuck one piece on top of the other using strawberry jam. I then rolled out commercially bought chocolate icing (which contained no dairy) and covered to make the box. I used white icing to make the bow.
- Plain oil such as grapeseed or plain vegetable work best – olive and other vegetable oils with a strong flavour can overpower the cake.
- Plain boring vinegar is best. I have apple cider vinegar – not so good.
- I have had the cake stick a few times too. I guess I should line the tin with paper… but I never seem to get around to that 🙂
- Egg free, dairy free chocolate cake
Do you have a child with food allergies?
Please add your data to the Food Allergy Survey